Overcoming Life’s Curve Balls
No one said life was supposed to be easy, get over it.
I know it's easier said than done, but sometimes you just have to say F*** it and keep moving. There are somethings in life that are inevitable:
1) You're trying to get through an intersection during traffic before a bus blocks the entire intersection, and someone is walking incredibly slow through the crosswalk.
Natural Human Response: I'M GLAD YOU THINK YOU HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO WALK LIKE A JERK!
2) You spend six client visits, four proposal revisions, thirteen conference calls, and five months of pure torture on a deal for your client to say -- "We're just not ready for a program like this."
Natural Human Response: YOU KNEW WHEN I MET YOU THE FIRST TIME THAT YOU WERE NOT GOING TO BUY FROM ME! I CAN'T SELL ANYTING! I SHOULD QUIT MY JOB AND BECOME A NOMAD.
3) You're starving, and after five attempts your delivery is finally accepted by postmates. Forty minutes and three glasses of wine later your delivery is canceled because "the location was closed."
Natural Human Response: WHY DID YOU LET ME ORDER FROM A CLOSED ESTABLISHMENT?? NOW I HAVE TO STARVE TO DEATH AS I DON'T HAVE THE MENTAL CAPACITY AS A GROWN ADULT TO PULL MYSELF TOGETHER AND ORDER SOMETHING DIFFERENT.
4) You're up late at night adding things to your Amazon Prime account that you're planning on purchasing on pay day. You wake up the next morning with your confirmation of purchase forgetting that you enabled one-click checkout, and your bank account is now negative $2.50. IM SO STUPID!
Natural Human Response: IM SO STUPID! I NEVER DO ANYTHING RIGHT! I'M WORTHLESS
5) You go to work one morning like any other day, and you're told that your company is doing major cuts and your job is eliminated. Not to mention, you just started two months ago, you don't qualify for unemployment, just bought a new car signed a two-year lease on a downtown apartment - and got a new dog!
Natural Human Response: DESPITE THE FACT THAT I GOT THIS JOB ON MY EXTRODINARY TALENTS AND CAPABILITIES, THERE'S NO WAY I WILL FIND ANOTHER JOB. I'M NOW GOING TO BE HOMELESS AND HUNGRY.
At the end of the day, any one of these scenarios can make us feel like our world is over. They are all different, but depending on the day and time, they can be extremely detrimental. When life throws you inevitable curve balls don't duck. Pick up the ball -- brand it -- put a price tag on it -- and SELL THE HECK OUT OF IT! You're obviously going to need the money.